Friday 4 October 2013

Make Them Pay - and pay this forward


It's not often I hop onto my political hobby horse on the blog, but I do know that most, not all, of my readers are women and one topic that fires everyone up is how much we get paid.  When I read about Elle's Rebranding Feminism project,I thought it was an incredibly important thing to get behind and encourage others to find out more.  It's already had a huge impact (as you can see if you follow them on Twitter) and hopefully will only grow from here as more people join the conversation.  

Three feminist ad campaigns have been created for the project. One in particular, Mother’s call to action to 'Make Them Pay', addresses pay inequality - according to the Office of National Statistics, women working full-time in Britain earn 17.8% less than their male counterparts.

Mother have created a dedicated website so that you can find out if your pay is fair in comparison to your male counterparts.

The results are astonishing – make sure you visit the site - Make Them Pay - and for the record, I'm paid nearly four thousand a year less than a chap in my job. Grrrrrrrr.

2 comments:

  1. It's crazy that in this day and age we are still having this problem! Great work deserves a fair pay regardless of who produced the work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's completely unfair isn't it? I realise that women have some time out of the workplace, and often aren't as assertive as men, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't receive an equal pay when they complete work to the same level, or higher!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my waffle. Every single comment is appreciated x