Thursday 23 August 2012

Gatsby Glory


Around now I would usually be doing my Autumn/ Winter essentials post - however major life stress (bathroom ceiling collapsed,damp coming through sitting room wall) has meant that I haven't been near a shop and my wallet is on the thin side. This is when fantasy and looking forward to the future can really help and one thing that I am SUPER excited about is Baz Luhrman's The Great Gatsby hitting our screens in December although literally as I write this, there are rumours it is being put back to July 2013. Fingers crossed this is not the case.

Miuccia Prada has reworked 40 dresses from the Prada and Miu Miu archives to create costumes for the upcoming film adaptation (collapses on floor in excitement!!) The designer has collaborated with the film's head of wardrobe, Catherine Martin - wife of the director - on the Twenties-era flapper dresses worn by several actresses throughout the movie.

"I usually try not to literally reference periods in my work, because that's not the way I think," Prada told US Vogue. "But when I worked on the costumes, I realised how many pieces would become very Twenties with a little intervention and another point of view."

It's not a first-time partnership for the designer and director: Prada worked on Lurhmann's 1996 film Romeo + Juliet, designing a suit that was worn by Leonardo DiCaprio. I'm not sure which one, but I bet it's the gorgeous blue one he wears at his wedding to Juliet (the soundtrack to that movie is the soundtrack to my teens - And IIIIIII'm kissssssing youuuuuuuuu)

This latest Great Gatsby news comes following the confirmation that Tiffany & Co has provided all the jewellery for the adaptation, as worn by  Carey Mulligan in her role as Dasiy Buchanan. Wowza.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my waffle. Every single comment is appreciated x