Tuesday 7 December 2010

Feathers

Natalie was wondering of she'd overdone the eyeliner...

Although Christmas is on the horizon, my excitement has not yet peaked.  This isn't because I'm being all bah humbug (well..not too much) but this year I will be India for the festive season and it will be a wonderful but very different experience. One of our family traditions has been to take in a pantomime or ballet or both! Ballet, especially leaves me awestruck. The athleticism, the grace and the costumes. Last year, The Boy took me to see Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake at Sadlers Wells, it was magical and he won a whole load of brownie points.  This year the performance that has got my pulse racing in anticipation is Natalie Portman's work in the new big-screen Black Swan. However before you start thinking I've wondered off the fashion piste, the film's forward-thinking ballet costumes by Rodarte, the insider-favourite label by sisters Laura and Kate Mulleavy.



Black Swan director Darren Aronofsky said he and the costume designer Amy Westcott wanted to use a contemporary fashion designer "to take it to a new level." "We wanted to reinvent the whole sense of 'Swan Lake,'" he said.  Portman, who has been spotted in the front row of Rodarte runway shows during New York Fashion Week, had a relationship with the designers.
"I remember seeing a dress of theirs at a photo shoot, and just going, 'What is that?'" recalled Portman. "I don't have that reaction to clothes very often. It is not something that I really pay attention to that much. But it was just so beautiful. When we were doing this film, I just knew how balletic their clothes were."



Rodarte had, coincidentally, already tapped into horror films and ballet - the same elements that are the foundation of "Black Swan" - as inspiration for past collections.

"We had an affinity for the subject matter," noted Kate Mulleavy. "We had never done a film. ... This would be a dream job in terms of just getting to make tutus. But, then we had, I think, something that allowed us to add to access the psychology of the film in a different way, which was understanding the darker nature and more of the twisted kind of underbelly of that world."



Nevertheless, producing fashion-forward ballet costumes proved a challenge. "Well, I think that the big question was, 'How do you make something look realistic as a tutu and function?'" explained Laura Mulleavy.
Sometimes style took precedence over function. "You would never go and do 'Swan Lake' and wear a full-on swan outfit without having a strap" to hold the outfit up, said actress Mila Kunis. "Given that it is in a movie and it is a certain form of disbelief. They had no straps. So, the busts kept constantly falling, you know. And so you make it work. You figure it out. But they were beautiful."



The film isn't out in the UK yet but if you've seen it already (I believe it's out in the States this weekend) let me know what you think! The trailer alone gave me chills....also have a slight crush on Mr Vincent Cassell..X



6 comments:

  1. Thank you for leaving us our first comment!!

    great post by the way - Tim and I are very much wanting to watch Black Swan, we just haven't gotten around to it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw it last night - AMAZING!! I really loved it. David thought it was just 'ok'. Silly boys. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw those sketches on tavi's blog, and aren't they SO amazing? I really want to see this movie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE ballet...I wish I took classes when I was younger, but I never did! :( Thank you so much for your comments on my blog, Bisou! I really appreciate it!

    Bisous!
    -Cris xoxo

    http://www.bisouonline.com
    Live,Love,Fashion...bisou!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much everyone for their comments. I am SO excited to see the film but think it'll have to wait til January now as I just don't have a spare minute. Grrrr.Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sosososo excited to see this!

    http://herribbonsandherbows.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my waffle. Every single comment is appreciated x